These are a great appetizer or main course, that can be easily made into batch cooking by flash freezing uncooked triangles for another day! This recipe uses ricotta, feta and frozen spinach wrapped in flaky phyllo dough (found in the frozen section of the grocery store near frozen berries/cool whip).
Phyllo dough needs to be defrosted before use. Once defrosted, unroll sheets - carefully. Dampen a clean kitchen towel and lie over the phyllo sheets to keep moist. Cut the phyllo sheets into 4 long strips for appetizer size or 2 long sheets for main course size.
I adapted this recipe from What's Cookin' Chicago.
1 small onion, chopped
10 ounces frozen chopped
spinach. thawed and squeezed dry
4 to 6 ounces domestic feta cheese,
1 cup cottage cheese
1 pound of phyllo dough
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Cook onions until tanslucent. Mix together cheeses, spinach, egg and cooked onions.
3. Take two sheets of phyllo dough and brush with melted butter or olive oil
4. Place a teaspoon of mixture in top corner of sheet.
5. Fold phylo dough into triangles.
6. Flash Freeze or bake for 10 minutes on each side (until golden brown and flaky!)
If you are going to flash freeze them, please make sure that you defrost the spanakopita triangles before you bake them again later!!