Well with 5 degree temperatures, shorter and darker days, and winter vegetables coming to the markets I have to admit that it is becomming Fall. Also this weekend is Thanksgiving, which means Turkey, squash, potatoes and of course Cranberry Sauce.
So why not try canning cranberries? Super easy and theres definitely enough for gifts and to last until Christmas!
2 cups orange juice
2 cups water (or port)
4 cups sugar
16 cups (1.6kg) whole fresh cranberries
1/2 tsp of one or more of the following: nutmeg, all spice, cinnamon, cardamom
Zest of an orange
1. In a stockpot combine orange juice, water (or port), sugar and bring to a boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly
2. Add cranberries and spices, then return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until berries begin to burst.
3. Remove from heat and add orange zest
4. Fill jars, wipe rims, cover with boiled lids and sanitized rings
5. Process for 15-20 minutes in a hotw ater canner
I'm looking forward to having this with our Turkey on Monday