Thursday, October 6, 2011

More tomatoes than I bargained for...

I went to a different market than I had bought my last half-bushel of tomatoes, because it was more convenient in my week. I was looking for another half bushelf of tomatoes to make Taco Sauce. Unfortunately they were only selling bushels (53lbs) for $25 and pecks (1/4 of a bushel) for $11, and they were not willing to only sell me half the bushel for half the cost of their bushels. So my options were buy two pecks which would equal about half a bushel for $22 or to buy the whole bushel for $25. So I decided that the whole bushel was the best deal, but I ended up with twice as many tomatoes than I wanted.

PLAN B (for all 53lbs) - became taco sauce, bruschetta and 4 cups of diced tomatoes

Taco Sauce (about 15 cups)
20lbs of tomatoes (peeled, cored and finely chopped)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
2.5 cups choppped onions
2 jalapeno peppers (seeded and chopped)
2 long green chilis (seeded and chopped) - I couldnt find these so I added 2 more jalapenos
1.5 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
1 Tbsp salt for canning
1.5 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp cumin

Add all ingredients to stock pot and simmer (stirring occasionally) for about an hour, or until it thickens. Puree in a blender or with an imersion blender

This sauce is delicious to add to ground beef or diced chicken when making tacos or enchilladas. Its like a pureed salsa

Bruschetta
I doubled the recipe to use more tomatoes! Below is the recipe without doubling the ingredients.

5 lbs tomatoes (halved)
6 carlic cloves minced
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (dried, not in oil)
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp dried basil
1 Tbsp salt for canning
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup red wine

Directions
1. Roast tomatoes and garlic in a single layer on a baking sheet under the broiler for 10-12 minutes
2. Let tomatoes cool and then remove the skins and seeds, then chop
3. Reconstitute the sundried tomatoes by boiling them in hot water for 5 minutes, drain and mince
4. Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes
5. Fill jars, wipe rims, top with boiled lids and cleaned rings
6. Process for 20 minutes in a hot water canner

Both of these went really well, although processing 53lbs of tomatoes is ALOT! I would recommend wearing gloves to avoid the sting of the tomato juice

No comments:

Post a Comment